The Laona M. Kitchen foundation was founded by Gary Kitchen in honor of his mother, who suffered from Alzheimer's. The mission of the Foundation is to aid caregivers of those who are affected by Alzheimer's disease and other dementias, through a voucher program, community education, and assistance with applying for VA Benefits. To achieve this mission, the Foundation will:
- Support families in need by providing funds for short-term respite care to give caregivers a break to re-energize for their responsibilities or to allow them to attend to other needs requiring time away from caregiving. This can be done by utilizing in-home care companies, adult day care facilities or assisted living facilities.
- Promote education to support organization who increase awareness to the public in need of these services.
- Provide specific guidance in accessing VA death pension benefits to help pay for the care of a loved one with Alzheimer's or dementia.
- Support various organizations so that those organizations can continue to provide support, guidance and care options to those affected by Alzheimer’s disease.
- Fund chosen research organizations and related projects.